Monday, September 15, 2014

15 September 2014

Package from a nice mom
Hola,
16 months ago today I was dropped off by Katie at the Provo MTC to begin my service as a missionary for the Lord. Time had flown by so fast I can't even believe it. Every Sunday night I think about how I am going to talk to my family again and I can't believe that another week has already gone by. This week was a great week. Lots of moving forward and lifting up and committing to do more and be better and follow the will of the Lord for me and for my life!
So last Monday evening was amazing. We went to our appointment, a little late, and started teaching Sandra again. We had taught her 1 lesson before and she asked us to come back in September.  We came back and she let us in. She didn't have much time so we watched Because of Him and it really touch her and her daughter. She really wants her kids to know more about Jesus Christ. We talked more about the atonement and invited her to church! Then she tried to make our appointment [for next month] and I thought " We aren't your visiting teachers! We are here to teach you!" So, luckily she made an appointment for this week.  We won't have to wait until October! We went to an appointment for a house blessing with a woman named Belen. It means Bethlehem in spanish. We talked to her son and she came out to meet us. Within seconds she was crying and she asked how we knew that she needed help. We tried to tell her that the Lord takes care of us. She has been having some family problems.  We are not sure exactly what they are, but we said a prayer with her and her 2 children and they were really grateful and they felt the Spirit. She told us that she had never let anyone into her house even those from her own religion, but she let us in! It was really amazing. She definitely could feel the Spirit.  It was powerful to give someone exactly the comfort they needed from our Heavenly Father!

Tuesday we had another miracle. We went by to see Juliana. We have been trying to make daily contact with her, because she had kind of seemed odd when we have seen her in the past and she wasn't letting us come in or making appointments with us. We stopped by on Tuesday after having seen her a few days in row to see how she was doing AND SHE LET US IN! It was awesome. The lesson we had with her before we had brought Sister Southwick. Then 2 weeks ago Sister Southwick said hi to her in Taco Bell and that really impressed Juliana and her Husband. She told us more of how it was so nice to have someone say hi and be so nice to her and her family.  We told her that the Southwicks are moving to be the new temple president. Then we talked about temples and it just automatically lead to talking about the plan of salvation.  It was just a great lesson! WE were so happy that she let us come in again and we have an appointment for this week!
Wednesday we had interviews with President and Sister Alba. It is always nice to have just a few minutes one on one with our " Mission Parents".  I do my interviews with President Alba in spanish and it really seemed to flow this time.  I like how it felt that I had improved. It was my last regular interview with the Alba's. I will still have my exit interview, but that is it. It is funny how I am starting to get to all of the lasts. Then I went on exchanges with Sister Murphy. She is a great big ball of excitement and yet a little slow moving when it comes to getting out there and working! It was a fun exchange. I was in the [English] Sister's area and so there aren't too many people you would recognize.
On Thursday morning we went a saw a less-active from Fort Bragg who is in the hospital here. He is paralized on his left side and is also not an active member of the Church, but he accepted our visits. I have seen him a few times and it was wonderful to see his emotional and physical progress. I love that we can find home, even in desperate times! Then we had lunch with the Bishop's wife. We asked the Bishop what we could do for him and he said, "take my wife out to lunch". The wonderful part is that we benefitted more even though we were "giving" the service. She is a woman full of wisdom and willing to share it. We talked about the work and investigators and marriage and they were all just wonderful discussions on the struggles and expectations of it all. She is an amazing woman and I am grateful to know her! We decided we should make these lunches a regular thing.  We will see what happens. We were still on exchanges and we were at the family history booth at the farmer's market. We always meet such interesting people and help them get connected to their ancestors so they can feel the spirit, it is fun!  
 
Friday we did our planning and went to dinner to one of the investigators of the {English] Sisters. His name is Rob. He lives at a member's home. He is an ex-convict. He has been in jail multiple times and now is on parole so he can't get baptized until next year, but he is awesome. He has truly changed and repented and now it is just a matter of waiting, but in the time he is continuing to change and grow.  It is awesome to see. He is basically a member already, it just isn't official yet! We ended up being their for quite a while because he just kept talking about his life and the experiences he has had and lots of funny and crazy stories for a couple of Mormon girls like us.  It was really nice to just hear him out and understand him even more!
Saturday we helped with a memorial service. We helped set up the luncheon and then we sang in the service. I played the piano, which was fun because I don't get to do that very often because Hermana Hooton is a superior pianist.  She always gets asked, but I offered since it was just a missionary number.  We sang I Am a Child of God. We were just going to do it straight from the Children's Song Book.  We just kept adding and changing and it turned really good. I recorded it, but didn't bring my i-pad to e-mail so I will have to send it next week.  You can all anticipate my wonderful piano playing. Thank you Mom for making me practice and stick with it so that I not only could have that skill but bless the lives of others also! It was a lovely service and we were happy to be the support. The cool thing is that the daughter of the woman that died, who isn't a member, is very interested in temples and eternal families. She just loves the idea of being sealed to her mother and her son that died as a child for time and all eternity! She lives in Santa Rosa.  We are getting her connected with the missionaries down there.  We are excited!
Sunday was a crazy day. Jose, the less-active, came to church. SO I translated for him! Though I am not perfect I am glad to make some sense. Then Hermana Hooton played the piano in Primary for a little bit. Then we went out to find Jose and we looked in all the priesthood meetings and then we called him and he had gone home. SO we had hopped from place to place and still ended up in Relief Society! Then I passed off my  investigator online to have her go meet with the missionaries in her area!  SO I am hopeful for her! We went around trying to see people with little success.  We ended our night very happily and I am just trying to finish strong and happy, because it is much better than anything else.

I hope you had all an amazing week and another one to come! I love you so much!
Love,
Hermana Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment