Tuesday, September 9, 2014

08 September 2014


Hola,

This week was exceptionally good! I say exceptionally because one good thing kept happening over another and even though there were a few bad things it really doesn't matter! All the bad was outweighed by the good. There is a part of Preach my Gospel that I love. It is in lesson 3 when talking about our life here on earth! "While we are in mortality, we have experiences that bring us happiness. We also have experiences that bring us pain and sorrow". I don't know why but I always liked how this is plainly said as doctrine for part of our life here on earth! The thing I have learned from this is that we are meant to focus on the happy times and so the bad times can just drift away. Even though the pain and sorrow is still there, we can get up each day and depend on Him for our peace and strength.  We can be happy!

So last Monday we gave our presentation to one of the members in the ward. She is a single sister and so we turned it into an FHE. We gave her a little packet of spanish materials and played hi-ho cherrio which was simple and fun! She is excited to find opportunities to find spanish people. That is what I have been amazed with in this whole process, that people get really excited to talk to spanish people. They are a little nervous, but because we personally invited them they get more interested! I love it!

Tuesday was an AWESOME day! We went to zone meeting! All of it was really good. It made me want to do better even though time is slipping away! There was some more emphasis on 10 hours of service a week and the website Just Serve! I had the hope of moving onward and upward with my missionary work. We ended with a video of a representation of a literal situation in our world of a man losing his son for the sacrifice of others compared to our Heavenly Father's sacrifice of his son for us. It was very, very powerful. It made me truly consider what it would have been like for him, to save us, his imperfect children! I would all give you the link if I knew where it came from, but maybe I will find it for you one day! In the evening we had our first official English class.  We had our 1st student! It was awesome! The wait and patience was worth it! 

Wednesday we did our regular volunteering at the thrift store. We got to dress barbies and clean them up and brush their hair! It was entertaining! Then we went to go visit a potential named Liana. The story behind her was when we were calling everyone for the special fast a couple of months back,  the other sisters were making their calls but one of the numbers was the wrong number. All of a sudden Sister Andreasen runs into the room and says here talk to her she speaks spanish. SO Hermana Hooton got her address and we got a new potential. We had gone by before but she wasn't home.  On Wednesday night, she was home. We did a simple house blessing and she accepted another visit. She seemed to enjoy the peace that came for her family, especially with their family troubles. Then we had a lesson with JP, our last lesson with her in her not so nice hotel room.  She is moving in with a member to help her around the house. It was awesome to just be around her, when everything is now going right! I love it! In the evening, when we were home, we were all getting prepped and ready to go to the temple in the morning. The new Sister, Sister Murphy and I were talking as I was ironing. We were sharing some of our personal struggles and hardships and then she told me of a bad night she had recently where she prayed to have the comfort of her grandpa's spirit with her because of how bad she felt.  She told me how powerful and peaceful it was to receive that comfort from him.
 


With that in mind, I was going to the temple with a special request in my heart. To feel close to my Grandpa Cornwall. A few weeks earlier I received a blessing saying that I would have the gift of connecting with those across the veil. Not knowing when it would happen I was preparing for it to happen in the temple. Then hearing the story of Sister Murphy I realized that I could ask for it. So as I was in the celestial room I reached out and the spirit was so strong that I know he was there beside me.  It was such a pleasant experience to not have to worry that I would never see my Grandpa again because I knew that I would and I was able to receive that confirmation in the temple! I am so grateful for the sacredness of temples and the opportunities we have to prepare to be uplifted and enlightened. It also was the last time I will be in the temple as a missionary.  That also made it a tender moment. I love the feelings I have had being a missionary in the House of the Lord. Then we got back to Willits around dinner time so we had a great English class again with our student and a wonderful night!

Then on Friday we saw Liana again. We taught her the Restoration. She was interested in it all and said she would read the Book of Mormon that we left with her. She did explain to us how at the age of 9 she chose to be baptized in the Catholic Church and what she believed.  She still accepted our message and said she would ask God for herself. The only problem is that her boyfriend's mother is coming to stay for 3 weeks so we can't visit her until October.  We will see what happens. Then in the evening we got kicked out of an apartment complex by the manager even though I really wanted to tell her that we weren't soliciting anything. But it wasn't the time. We just kind of walked around, trying to talk to people! 

Then on Saturday we were going to do service with the [English] Sisters, but they canceled so we went and did more service at the thrift store.  This time we just did regular dolls! It was fun! We had an awesome dinner with the Bragdens. They were practicing on us for a luau and so there was a lot of food and it was all delicious. It is also one of those members homes were I just laugh and laugh, so it was really entertaining! Then we went out and talked to 21 people! It was awesome! We just went out and did it! We meet a lot of interesting people.  Everyone was actually really nice and it was a good experience. 

Sunday meetings were great! The 2nd counselor announced that they were moving so I was a little sad about that.. No one at church for us, even though we had the system all set up. Then for the 1st time ever I had a Skype lesson. Her boyfriend is a member and so she is familiar with the Church but just wants to learn. She is already reading the Book of Mormon and going to church. I am excited she has the opportunity to learn more! Then we had our hour of prayer. Mine was amazing of course.  Communing with our Heavenly Father usually is. I read my patriarchal blessing, thought more about the skills and patterns I still want to develop and keep as a missionary.  With only a few minutes left I decided to pick up where I left off in the Book of Mormon. Right after we got off Facebook we received word from President Alba that we would be taking a break from Facebook for a while, like a long while. SO,  I was a little bummed because I have this awesome investigator.  I wasn't too worried about it.   I opened to Helaman 5:40-52 and it answered all my concern and worry perfectly. (please insert scripture here). I am excited to take away the darkness so I can be purified and more effectively teach the gospel. I hadn't had that experience in a while where God has directly answered my concern with a block of scriptures.  It was just so powerful! Then we had a great house blessing and service opportunity after dinner. We started teaching a new family and so our teaching pool has more than doubled and I was just really feeling the blessings of Heavenly Father. It was an amazing week! I could not have asked for one better.

This week I understood more the role of Heavenly Father. He sacrificed so much for us with giving us his son, Jesus Christ, He blessed us so much and he continues to do so. His hand is in our lives. As I was receiving my personal revelation from him I asked the question - how many other people is he helping right now? I was amazed to find how powerful and watchful He really is. SO if you were worrying about it, don't ,because Heaven;y Father is watching over you! I love you all! I hope your week goes well!

Les Quiero,
Hermana Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment