Wednesday, September 3, 2014

01 September 2014

The Redwood Forest
 Hola,
I had a great this week! Crazy as always, but it has been really great! Lots of challenges, but at the same time I know they are not that important and that they will all get worked out.  The little bits of positive really out-way anything else!
On Monday we played sports in Ukiah again.  Then we all went out to a shake place for half-off happy hour shakes! It was fun to all be together doing something slightly normal! We had dinner at the Southwick's home (future temple president). It was lovely as always. We heard about some of their mission experiences and there were just some great stories. We did a practice lesson with them since they are some of the only ones that speak Spanish in the Ward. We taught the plan of salvation and I realized that I was a little rusty with finding the words I needed and so it was nice to practice!
Tuesday was our lovely district meeting and we were informed that the following day we would be having a blitz in Willits.  We realized that we needed to plan in order to accomplish that.  So we planned for the blitz which is always an awesome experience. The Lord just directs to who needs to be with who and where and it was fun to put it all together. I went on exchanges with Sister Andreasen in my area! For the first time ever we actually had someone show up for our English Class. We also starting a spanish class for the members and 2 of them showed up. I got to teach everyone spanish, since I didn't have Hermana Hooton with me! It was really fun and they are all excited to learn. It is fun to see the members really start to be interested in finding spanish people for us! They are excited, so we are too. We did our presentation of the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. They were wonderful as always!
On Wednesday we picked up a new investigator! It has been so long since we have taught someone and it went so well. She opened the door and said she was going to clean but that we could come in for a few minutes. We did the house blessing with her and then she was asking a lot of questions about the Church, so I introduced the Book of Mormon to her, gave her a copy and set up another appointment for this week! I am excited to see where that goes. Then we had our blitz! That was great! Rarely is our zone ever all together so it was good to see everyone! It was just a really great day, and a great exchange and a great blitz and now we have a few more potentials to go and try! Als,o we had this amazing experience in the evening. We went to go see a potential and there was a woman sitting outside in the front yard, she was not our potential and she told us that the family wasn't home because she had knocked and no one answered so she was taking a rest on their bench. As we continued talking to her she told us that she had been having problems with her daughter, that she won't let her see her grandchildren and needed help with food and things and how she doesn't have money, and she had back problems so it hurts to work and she does it anyway.  The best part was that we got to console her with the atonement and the plan of salvation. She doesn't understand it all yet, but we hope to help her more in the future! It was a divine moment where Heavenly Father put us in the path of one of his children that needed help and we were able to his work! I love that happening as a missionary.  It is truly a beautiful thing to see! I love it!
Thursday we had a more crazy day because we did our planning a day early, because Sister Andreasen was going to Santa Rosa for MLC.  We got to be with Sister Murphy. She is just a spitball of energy. She just goes and goes! She was a fun person to have around us! The difference in our evening was that we were full of appointments, because we combined things.  We planned with things the [English] Sisters had! So we went to go do our presentation to the Burton family! They are so fun and funny! Then we went to go see a less-active in the hospital. She has been paralyzed on his whole left side and she really blames God for it all, but she lets the missionaries in, so that is good! We went to see Brother Munson. I think I have mentioned him before.  He is someone that gets visits from the missionaries on a regular basis, just to lift his spirits. That was a hoot too.  We were just laughing and having fun.  It ended up being a really good night!
Friday we did service at the senior center! We helped with their daily lunch. It was so much fun and there were so many wonderful people! They were all so grateful for us and we were happy to help! Then we had a few lessons in the [English] Sister's area, One with a teenage girl investigator, who just needs to get baptized.  She is ready, but there is something holding her back. The lesson was a little off, but we hope that she will continue on doing good! We went to visit JP, a struggling recent convert. She is getting welfare from the Church and she has been trying to find a job but couldn't.  We were able to cheer her up! Then we went to see Rob, another investigator of the [English] Sisters. It was another lesson where I just kept laughing and laughing! We talked about obedience and endurance to the end. He is on probation so he can't get baptized, but he is changing for the better! Then we saw Brother Munson again which was great, as always! SO it was a good and busy night! Well really the whole day!
Saturday we did service for Sister Pollock! She has health problems. We were just doing little projects for her around the house! It is fun to learn how to be handy to screw that and glue this and clean this.  I really learn a lot! Then we did our presentation for an 80+ year old woman in our ward who is a ward missionary! She said at the end that she would really try and help us find spanish people. She even gave us a bag of cookies when we left. Hermana Hooton called her the perfect Grandma! Then after dinner and our coodination meeting, Hermana Hooton and I had 0 contacts. We were a little concerned so we decided to go and get it done! It really was a miracle and we got 20 contacts in and 1 hour and 15 minutes. Hermana Hooton was a beast.  Most contacts she gets a little shy.  I usually have to start/do them but she just went out and did it. I saw a new fire in he which was good!

Sunday was a great day.  JP got a job and a place to live all in one swoop! I love our amazing Ward, they all make me laugh and they bring me so much joy. I feel part of the family here and that is a really nice feeling! Then Hermana Hooton got sick, so we stayed in during the afternoon.   We went out after dinner and worked! It was great! We are really trying to just do our best and that is what is important to the Lord.
I had a few realizations this week, my biggest one was about peace. As the time to think about the near future is drawing near, I have been struggling with wanting to make after mission decisions right now, when I can't. I kept telling myself to have patience and things, but it didn't feel long lasting. I fasted for peace, then in the middle of my fast Sister Andreasen told us that Sister Alba wants us to teach english invesitgators now as well as spanish which just threw a wrench into the cognates of my brain. I was thinking "I am a spanish missionary, I need something more official to tell me that I am now both, besides hearing it through the grapevine." Anyway, lots and lots of confusion and here I was worrying about something else entirely, fasting for peace and my life got pretty unpeaceful for a few hours there. I felt like no one understood what I was going through, I couldn't talk to anyone about it, just one of those moments where you cry it out because it is just too hard to do anything else.  The point of all this is, those few hours later, when I broke my fast and went out to work I did feel peace about everything, I didn't love everything about it, but I did have peace, and so that is the lesson - the Lord gives you what you need just often in different moments than we expect. The funny part is, I don't even know what is going to happen in the future, but I know it will all be alright!
SO I hope you all try and do the same and know that I love and I am praying for you! Don't forget how much the Lord loves you too!
Les Quiero,

Hermana Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment