Monday, May 19, 2014

19 May 2013

Hermana Cornwall and her companion Sister Santiago


Hola,

Though time sometimes seems very slow - it is really flying. I just celebrated a year of being in the field and it is the last week of another transfer (with only 4 left after that). I can't believe it. I am understanding a little bit more what everyone else has been talking about.
.
So on Monday I went to a new part of our area, well new to me. It is a teeny little town called Dunnegan. It is so far away that we rarely go.  One of the members there offered to feed us, so we went! It is a small place.  It was fun to spend time with this single sister. We did a little service for her and just helped out. Then one of the other single sisters that lives there came.  It was just a nice little gathering.
.
Tuesday we taught one of the less-actives named Amanda. It seems that she hasn't been active most of her life.  When she has time, she seems to appreciate our short little messages. She has kids running all over the place. I think she knows it is good.  She just doesn't know how to get there yet. We showed her the mother video and she really liked it. I must say, some homes that we go into I am just grateful for the home I grew up in and that they still support me even now.
.
On Wednesday was our first really hot day, like it was REALLY HOT. I didn't feel unmotivated, just really, really slow. We did teach Estela in the afternoon. We aren't really teaching her daughter Lupe, but we taught her. It was nice to be indoors and really just help out their family rather than just teach her. Then in the evening we built a fence. I don't remember if I said, but a new program we are using is 10 hours of service a week. So the week before we offered service to this man building his fence and we said we would come back the next week and help him, so we did. It was a really good experience. It was a little awkward because his wife was in Mexico so it was just him and these 2 girls but I think we were actually a little helpful and it just felt good to help. I must say I have gotten to be a little bit more handy with all this service I am doing!
.
Thursday was also meant to be Hot, but we went to the temple! Oh the cherished temple day was just as good as ever. We spent the night in Woodland so we didn't have to wake up too early and it was fun to have additional sisters around and we woke up bright and early to go to the temple. It was lovely just to be in the temple. We were running a little late so there was the question of "Are we going to make the session?" but we got there with plenty of time,  We just enjoyed the peace of the temple. It was great! I remember one of the Elders in my zone in the MTC that was going to a mission in Mexico talked about how he might not go to the temple for 2 years.  Now that I think of it I am so grateful to go to the temple every 3 months.  It is just always recharging and joyous. There is no better place to be.
.
On Friday we taught Yenn a Valente.They are former investigators. We don't know much about them  They often let us in. We can't tell how much potential they have.  We watched a video called Having Children in Faith and it seemed to touch them a little.  So, we are making baby steps. They have this little girl that is super funny, but not on purpose. She is kind of lot to handle in the lessons.  It is a good challenge.
 
Saturday we had an interesting day, because I kind of said something that was true and that my companion needed to hear, but she kind of took it badly. We had a good talk afterward, but it is just hard to know what to do sometimes. At times I just laugh because I think that is the best way to take most of it. Then we had a lesson with a less active named Jose. He has really changed his life around.  He is taking medical marijuana for not a very good reason.  We think that is holding him back a little bit. He also works on Sundays.  He talked about wanting to share his testimony and things.  He has good thoughts.  It is just making sure that leads to good actions.
.
Sunday was a great day. First I spoke in Sacrament Mtg. on receiving the Spirit. When the Bishop first asked me, I asked if he meant like confirmations and things but it was about receiving the Spirit after you have received the gift of the Holy Ghost. I really liked taking it from that angle. I thought of 2 things we need to do to receive the Holy Ghost on a regular basis. The first is to be worthy, and everything that entails.  The second is to know how to receive an answer. I ended it by talking about how receiving the Spirit is part of our path to endure to the end and how the promise of it all is eternal life. I really like giving a talk, especially in English! We had a really successful day with 2 of our less-actives - Kimberley and Silvia. Silvia said that she is not ready to do family history and to go into the temple and things. I felt sad that she didn't feel ready to do that but I hope she will feel ready someday soon. Then with Kimberley we were able to teach a little about service and for her to take a good load off on us! It was good to be in contact with them and give them some spiritual strength.
.
It was a consistent week. Nothing too exciting --- oh wait! I just remembered, this was a little exciting.  When we went to the temple we got a referral via text. We decided to just go and contact it right away. It was on this ranch kind-of in the middle of nowhere.  We went to go knock on the door and a man came out. He said that Jassir, our referral, lived in the apartments off of the shop.  We went over there and we actually found him. He seemed to be a little shocked that we were there.  We shared a little about why we were there He honestly seemed interested to learn about our church and to learn the truth. It was great and we are excited to see him again soon.
.
So, like I was saying it was a good week, with a lot of learning and growth like always and with a good personal resolve to just be happy, because that is what it is all about! I am so grateful for all of your love and support. You all are so wonderful to me!
.
Les quiero muchisimo,

Hermana Cornwall

Hermanas Bilat, Cornwall & Whitney, who all want to the MTC together May 15, 2013

Hermanas Santigo, Holguin & Cornwall

Sisters Cornwall & Vandeneit

Hermanas Anderson, Whitney, Billat & Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment