Monday, May 12, 2014

12 May 2014


Hola,

This week was a fun one with birthdays and Mother's Day and everything in between. I was so grateful for the opportunity I had to see my lovely family yesterday and it is nice to know everyone is doing well! This week will mark the year mark of being on a mission. It has gone by soooooo fast! The other end of the spectrum is that I only have 6 months left which is also crazy to me. Dallin said yesterday that I have done 2/3 so far and I will add with only 1/3 to go. Missions are not how I thought they would be. Every turn surprises me in some amazing way and I just can never seem to wrap my head around what it going on right in that moment because it is always changing. It is this process of always being better. Even though it is hard I would rather be better than worse, and I would rather become what the Lord wants me to be than anything else.
.
Last Monday we had an FHE with some of the members in our ward. The ward mission leader lives in Esparto so every 1st Monday he hosts a FHE for the investigators and members in that area. They assigned us to teach the lesson.  We talked about coming unto Christ. None of our investigators were able to make it, but it was fun to teach the members that were there. WE had everyone write a few things that would make them come unto Christ or to fall away.  We made a little pathway to Christ where they would either fall back on a bad step or move forward on a good one. It was a fun little activity with some wonderful members of the ward!
.
Tuesday we had zone meeting. That is always good to receive the help and counsel we need. I think the big message was that we are all struggling and we all have challenges, but we can't allow those challenges to hold us back from working hard.  It is that service of the Lord that truly helps. It is funny that they said that because a few days earlier I had that same thought.  It was a perfect confirmation to what I needed to do, which is to work!  Hermana Santiago had to get a blood test for her new medication so we took a little trip to Vacaville to get that done. We had this amazing contact. We were knocking doors, a normal thing to do, and a girl named Sandra answered. usually we give a spiel like "hi, how are you doing? we are servants of Jesus Christ. Do you have Faith in Jesus Christ?" A little route, but it usually gets right to the point. One thing I try to do, but is hard is to change that up as often as possible and to listen to what the Spirit is telling me that they need. We talked about eternal families and if she wanted one and she said yes.  We set up an appointment to come back and talk about the plan of salvation. It is just amazing how just taking that moment to pause and wait to hear what the spirit is telling you to do really makes a difference.
.
Wednesday we had another amazing moment when we taught Urith. I think I mentioned her last week.  Sshe is a less-active, that after almost 10 weeks, I had never met. We stopped by on Sunday and she said to come back on Wednesday. We did and we brought Sister Baker, her visiting teaching companion and it was awesome. She was so excited to start doing visiting teaching. She is unable to come to church right now because of her non-member husband, but she still wants to help in some way. She asked if it was ok for her to do visiting teaching even if she wasn't coming to church and Sister Baker said that all she needed was a testimony and she said that she did have that! It was amazing to see such strength and endurance even without the constant nurturing that most of us normally have. Though church is very important we were happy to see her firm in the faith!
.
On Thursday I had my first official, what I would call, door slam in the face. I have had the door closed before on me, of course, but this was the first time that someone opened the door saw us and closed it without us getting one word in.  You would think that those would hurt more but they are the easiest ones to just laugh at and move on. I hope one day she will be open to the message of the gospel, but for right now she was not!
 
Friday was my BIRTHDAY! It was a very different birthday too. No one really knew about it or did anything, at least in person, but it was a great day. I opened my presents and felt so happy and loved from everyone back home . 3 things in my gifts that I was debating what to do with was a cake mix, frosting and a birthday banner. I knew no one was going to do it for me, so I got up and made my cake and put up my banner and made my birthday as great as possible. As service for our ward mission leader we cleaned the building and he brought pizza.  We had cake and pizza. Sadly, it ended with a 2 1/2 hour comp inventory, necessary, but still sad and hard.  It all turned out ok, with just enough resolve to keep us both content. Thank you so much for all of the love from home! It was great! The members we lived with told me on Sunday that if they had known that it was my birthday they would have done something for me.  I wouldn't have it any other way! The best part is that it is done and over now.  It was all good!
.
Saturday we had a little success on facebook. I remember when i was first on facebook and everyone would talk about how that we get all of these random friend requests and teach awesome lessons and baptize people.  I couldn't see the vision.  Now slowly that is happening for me on my facebook (no baptisms yet).  It is good to see that everything everyone has said wasn't a lie and that I can have success too. It is a slow process but it is a great way to reach out to people! Then we taught Lupe and Estela! So in the Hispanic culture they celebrate Mother's Day the 10th of every May rather than the 2nd Sunday.  We got to wish them all a happy Mothers Day and share a message about eternal families and that we have hope now for the eternities even in our struggles. It is funny how even when i am learning so much more about what life is about and how to feel peace even in struggle how it gives me more moral authority to promise them that there is peace, that there is help, and hope. It was a nice feeling to tell them that I know life is hard but that it is all worth it!
.
On Sunday we had our lovely Mother's Day! The Bishop spoke and talked about how we make bad days good ones, and I was so grateful for that talk! Then of course, I got to talk to my lovely family, as mentioned before.  I started my 6 month count down! (not actually  - dad, don't worry) I am so grateful for the time I have served and for the time I still have yet to serve. The one thing I have learned is that the Lord has a plan for me. Everywhere I am and all that I do is with a purpose. It is all meant to be.  I am understanding more and more the purpose that Our Loving Heavenly Father has for me. He has to stretch me in order to accomplish what he needs, I am grateful for the abilities I will have after because of how much Ii have grown and stretched. It is all worth the sacrifice because it helps us to know more of the joy that comes when we don't have to sacrifice anymore! I love you all so much. Thank you for being my help and support. I definitely feel your strength and love. Hope you have a wonderful week!
.
les quiero,

Hermana Cornwall






No comments:

Post a Comment