Monday, April 14, 2014

14 April 2014

Sister Santigo, Yasmin, Sister Cornwall
Hola,


Those that are dying to know 2 big events happened this week. First is that I had my first baptism this week! Second is that I am [not getting transferred but] staying in Winters with Hermana Santiago!
.
This week was great. The reason why I didn't talk about Yasmin's baptism last week is because we hadn't really taught her for 2 weeks because she was busy, so we were a little worried whether the baptism would actually happen.  When we went over for a lesson last Monday night, she was all ready to go! She had her program all organized! Then we also had an FHE with some of the children of some of our investigators at a members home. It was great to be there with them and some other members and help them see the goodness of it all!
.
View on the hill we climb each day on the Bishop's ranch.
On Tuesday we had a district meeting on :General] conference. It was fun to just be able to have all of us share what impacted us! Then, I had some great success with some less-actives on facebook. One is the son of a member in Davis who lives in Mexico. It is so great to be able to spread all around the world. Then we had a lesson with Cindy and Gisel. Cindy is the less-active we found last week who hasn't gone to church since she was a child in Mexico. Gisel is her teenage, non-member daughter who we are now teaching. We taught about temples and Cindy definitely wants to be sealed in the temple. They are just so ready to hear our message! I don't know if I said this already, but Bishop Baker, whose property we live on, is a teacher at the High School here in Winters so he knows all the kids and he knows Gisel so that is nice.  He speaks spanish so Cindy can talk with him at church! In the evening we had another lesson with Yasmin of course! We kind of did the last big commandments, like tithing and fast offerings and we prepared her for her baptismal interview. It was a big night.  All went well.
.
Then on Wednesday we went and made tortillas with Lupe and Estela, some of our investigators. It was fun and super easy! They were also very delicious.We had a short lesson with them about Family Home Evening!  Then we taught one of our less-actives, Victor, who is supposed to be going to the Spanish Branch but we think his guilt holds him back and he works. We read Alma 36 about Alma's conversion, being the vilest of sinners and having that complete change of heart and the desire to serve the Lord. It is amazing how any change is possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ. It is also interesting how far we can fall and he can still build us back up. My favorite section of the scripture is when he actually changes:

 18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
 19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
 20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
 21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.
Oh sometimes we just need that Joy. I know for me that is definitely true. Noone truly wants the torment and pain, but it seems really enjoyable when we are doing it. It was a really good lesson and he really seemed to get it. We also did service for this older couple in the ward. They are compelely re-landscaping their back yard. It was hard work, but it was really fun. It was nice to just get a little dirty and sweaty doing good work for someone else. Yasmine had her baptismal interview. It is just like when a bishop interviews an 8-year old.  It is just for converts. The district leader told us that she is so prepared and ready to go!.
Thursday we had a great lesson with Cindy again. We talked about missionary work and she was all gung hoe to get into it. It is just the perfect time for her!
On Friday we had our planning!
Then Saturday We prepared more for the baptism, setting up chairs and making little pass-along cards and pamphlet displays. 
Yasmine's Husband, Yasmine, Sisters Santiago & Cornwall
Sunday was the big day! Cindy came to all 3 hours of church, Yasmin got baptized right after church. I played the piano! I am always grateful I have that skill and it was just beautiful. There were so many people there to love and support her, we were so happy!
It was an amazing week with I am sure many more miracles to come, keep up the work in your end of the woods, los quiero!
Hermana Cornwall

Sister Cornwall's Zone

Sister Fernandez
Sister Vanderniet

"Treat we helped make for Yasmin's baptism."
"My first elote (corn w/ mayo, butter, cheese and chile)"
Dinner at church with the Elders

No comments:

Post a Comment