Monday, September 23, 2013

23 September 2013

What a week. I never thought it would actually be weird to just be with a complete stranger, but it was finally a little weird to have a new companion. Before I had people that were around the same level or stage of the mission as me. We were able to take in the weirdness the same way, but now I have Hermana Brighton! She has been on her mission almost a year. She is a Sister training Leader and a very powerful, hard working missionary. It has been quite a week! 
.
Monday was full of packing and cleaning with Hermana Kaiser. Then on Tuesday I got sick. A good ol' cold hit me, which of course has taken a week to recover from since it we never really stop to take a breath as missionaries. All of the packing and saying goodbye makes me not excited to leave my first area, but it is just part of the missionary life I guess. 
.
Wednesday we had a crazy day. Our zone leaders decided it would be best if instead of go with our companions to Santa Rosa and then to just come back that Hermana Whitely (one of the missionaries from my district in the MTC) and I would be companions for the day.  We had a fun day doing studies and some tracting, and then we went to Sister Whitely's area. She works in Winters and Esparto. Where we were for our time was Esparto. It has maybe one or two stop lights in the whole town and some of the roads are of dirt. It was a different experience than my college town of Davis. We had a funny night, because the Sisters (our new companions) were coming back from Santa Rosa and they were running late. I had a meeting so I quickly picked up my companion, put her stuff in the car and we were officially together for the next 6 weeks! It was a little crazy but fun. The awesome part about Hermana Brighton is that she is committed to speaking Spanish. I have already increased a lot. how much I speak in Spanish  The cherry on top of all of this was that I was still sick - but it was ok! 
.
Thursday we had a great day. The weird thing for me is being the one that knows the area. We had a great day talking to everyone and just really digging in with both feet. The fun part is that we have all of these referrals on facebook. We have so much work to do. We taught a few lessons and it was just powering through the work. One lesson was with Elizabeth. Her son has special needs and she just sees a lot of bad in the world, so sometimes she can be having a rough day. The great part about this lesson is that we were really committing to act and not just talking to her. It was a great day. The only problem is that when you do everything you are supposed to do, when you talk to everyone, teach lessons, and just do it all IT IS EXHAUSTING! Needless to say I had a good nights sleep! 
.
On Friday we saw lots of people, but no lessons. It is so interesting just to go out and talk with others. Everyday we just try and talk to everyone we see and sometimes it can be super intimidating or seemingly scary, but it always turns out ok. 
.
On Saturday we had 5 scheduled appointments planned! The fun part was that before we left the house, it started to rain.  I pulled out my little rain coat and we went! Our first lesson was with Brenda, I don't know if I have really talked about her, so I will give a refresher. She is 15 and awesome. She has been to lots of churches with her family and just can't understand that if we all believe in God why are there different churches. This week we talked about the Book of Mormon. Her house was kind of crazy with people coming and going.  By the end her mom was sitting down with us. We started teaching her mom too and then by the end we said a kneeling prayer with her whole family! It was wonderful. The best was that we set a goal date for her to be baptized. October 26! So we will see want is going to happen. It continued to rain. Our next appointment wasn't there. We did some contacting of former investigators nearby and then we taught Roberto! Sometimes Roberto has bad lessons and this was one of them. I felt so bad for my companion because she didn't understand.  We kind of just ended quickly and planned for another time this week. I hope our next is better! After dinner there was a crazy rain storm and when I say crazy I mean CRAZY! They were the biggest drops of rain I have ever seen.  They just started coming down harder and more of them. Then came the hail and after minutes the streets were getting flooded with water. Of course all of our plans were falling through so we just ended up contacting people at their doors. It was wet and cold, but fun. We met lots of interesting people and it was just a fun night of seeing the life of Davis. It is always so interesting to see peoples faith! Sometimes they can have a lot, but not want anything you have to say and sometimes people have none at all.  Sometimes we can't even find out about their faith because they see us and then try and close the door as soon as possible. It was nice to go home at the end of day, do our planning and then get cozy. Quite a change from having to leave our windows open in order to cool off. 
.
Sunday was a good day. It is funny to now take the role of someone the members know. Out of 8 missionaries. Hermana Gonzalez and I are the only ones that have been here for two transfers. I am now one of the oldies.  I kind of like it!  The only difference to my Sunday schedule now is that Hermana Brighton has a meeting with the zone leaders and district leaders, and the other Sister Training Leader on Sunday nights. So, I go on a mini-exchange with Hermana Wilcox. It is great. Hermana Wilcox came out with me from the MTC and it is always fun to be around her!
.
It has been a good week this week, just going and doing it. There is always something to do and always people to see.  The hard part is finding them. Oh, the work of salvation is not the easiest, but it is the most rewarding. So feel free to be part of it, because it is an eternal work!
.
I love you all. Thank you for all your prayers, they are definitely needed.
.
Love,

Hermana Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment