Tuesday, September 10, 2013

09 Sept 2013

 Hola,

It has been another amazing week in the age of this new missionary work. I have seen success on Facebook and now I can truly tell you that it is an effective way of teaching the gospel! So how does it work? let me tell you!
.
On Monday we had a lovely day. It was weird to have a holiday for everyone else and not us.  There were so many families outside and just loving the day off! We had a lesson with Ada, the one who makes papusas and she was good. We went over and finished the Plan of Salvation with her. Sometime as we teach people I wonder if they are really getting it. I hope she did because I know that for me a key part of the gospel is this plan that God has for us. It gives me purpose and hope for this life. I remember one day last summer mom and I were talking about those people that don't have any type of purpose and how eat, drink and be merry is a real philosophy of life. The fun part about being a missionary is helping them change that perspective! It is great!
.
Anyway Tuesday is when the real Facebook miracles came! I had 2 lessons on Facebook! I just started a chat with two of the people that were online, a current investigator and a less active we met in our area and both of them turned into lessons! I can't believe it. I got so excited and I couldn't believe that all of the things that people have been talking about were actually happening to me. It was quite amazing how it all works out. The best part was that these two women were totally open and told us things that I don't think they ever would have said in person. It makes me excited to do more in the future! Then, we also had a lesson with Roberto. If you haven't figured out  - he is golden - or at least as golden as I have gotten thus far. He understands the importance and he is willing to do most everything but he just doesn't want to be 100% and end up a crazy person. Another big problem is that he works on Sundays.  Of course, we hope to get that all worked out.  It is turning into a long process, but we have a lot of hope!
.
Wednesday we didn't have too much excitement, but there were two kind-of interesting things: The first was that I had spaghetti for dinner at a Mexicans house.  That was a little weird.  It was still super good.  We talked about making we sure we have an up-to-date Facebook page in our coordination meeting. It is crazy how central technology is becoming in the work! 
.
Sacramento Temple
Thursday WE WENT TO THE TEMPLE! It was amazing to just take some extra, personal, spiritual time. The session was packed.  It is definitely one of those small temples President Hinkley talked about.  All of us missionaries realized that a packed temple is not a bad thing. The wonderful thing was that we saw the new temple video. I had heard a lot talk and was amazed at how much more I got out of it now. I love the temple, I am so grateful to be worthy to go inside of it! 
.
Friday brought another lesson with Roberto which of course was great.  We are so close to getting him to change his job hours but it is pretty hard.  I had another Facebook lesson with our less active and she committed to come to church. The funny thing is I am not there to check up on her but I hope she went! Then we had our exchange! I went to Vacaville again.  I got the Sister Training Leader this time! 
.
Saturday was really when we experienced the exchange because we did it at 8 on Friday.  It was a fun day in a new city. In the afternoon we taught Keila about self esteem and watched Johnny Lingo. I must say I quite enjoyed myself watching such a classic. Then there was just bustling around trying to see people with little success. Then we changed back a little early in order to go to our Saturday evening session of Stake Conference because Roberto agreed to come! One of the members picked him up and drove him and it was just so awesome to have an investigator there. It counts as a sacrament meeting attendance.  Since he works on Sunday,s he is that much closer to the waters of baptism because he needs to attend church twice in order to go! One of the nice parts of the meeting was that they had a recently reactivated member and a new member speak. It was awesome Then the Albas were also there. It is so fun to just know a Mission President. They have always sat there on the stand, but now I really know them. His talk was on 88:73. He gave a nice talk on the future of this work with ipads. I was so grateful for his ability to inform and uplift the members. He had all of us missionaries stand up and say some of the places they have been teaching around the world. There were some in Fiji, Hong Kong, and my own companion and I have started with a contact in Nepal! We haven't done much, but it is fun!  It was a great meeting!
.
Then we all know what happens the Sunday after a Saturday session - there is a Sunday session! There were lots of short talks and it was great. It was fun to see the color of the stake all piling in. Can I just say the perspective as a missionary at Stake Conference is so different than a member?  I just loved to hear inspired words come out of the speakers mouths for the investigators. I was so grateful. I love the Church.  Not only is it true, but it is just fun to meet together! Then we had a miracle lesson on Sunday. We went to go visit an investigator who lives at her boyfriend's parent's house, whose sibling of the parents is one of the members of our ward. Crazy I know and I hope that made sense. So, we came and they were having a party.  The member invited us in.  We taught a general version of all 3 lessons to someone we met at the party! It was amazing and he is so prepared. The only problem is that he lives in Los Angeles and doesn't have a facebook.  We are going to get it all worked out to get the missionaries to him down there. I love having a worldwide church.  It just makes us seem so powerful. Then a random side note is that with the combination of facebook and all missionaries sharing their friends with one another is that we have 24 referrals! Which is quite a lot and we have a lot of online work to do. The work is hastening and it is through facebook! I am so excited for the future stories that I get to tell!
.
Well I know this Church is true! I am grateful for the peace and joy it brings me that I get to testify of everyday! Without it I would definitely not be here and definitely not be as happy either. Though it is always a sacrifice to be here it brings me joy to help others and to share my testimony that just constantly keeps growing. My constant challenge to all of you is to continually share it. Even though you aren't a full time missionary SHARE IT. Because this gospel should be the most important thing in your life so be willing to let go of fear and make it the most important thing too. It is easy if you just take a baby step. Choose what your baby step is and do it. I promise you wont regret it! Keep up the good work! Love you all so much!
.
Love ya,

Hermana Cornwall
 
Below are some crazy Davis/Sacramento weather photos
 





No comments:

Post a Comment