Monday, October 13, 2014

12 October 2014

Hola,

Can I just say this week was a wonderful roller coaster of excitement! (I am using the roller coaster analogy because Sister Carter, my STL, was talking about it all being a roller coaster!) Anyway, I had such a great week so I will just dive right in to telling you!

On Monday we taught our investigator Leticia again, but this time we included her husband too! They were both attentive to us sharing about the Restoration and then they asked about the Book of Mormon. They were very curious about it and they agreed to reading a little. Then Hermana Navarro invited them to baptism and that is when there was a little halt, because they weren't really on board for that, but that we are always welcome. We hope to teach them again soon, but we aren't in a huge rush at the moment.  We hope that with time that can accept it! Then we had an FHE with the Dunham family in the ward! They are great! They aren't really less-active.  They come and go! They are really wonderful people so it was nice to just have some spiritual time together! One thing I love, that happened in the lesson with them, is the guidance of the Spirit. I felt impressed to share a simple scripture and it really touched them. There is so much power in the Spirit and it is always guiding us. I feel so much better when I follow it! 

Tuesday we did Studies with our zone leaders. It was really great to be able to get help and feedback on training stuff. They are so nice and they take such good care of us. They are some of the best zone leaders I have ever had, actually they might just be the best! On Tuesday evening I went to go practice Amazing Grace for the funeral! Luckily the version Gloria (member) had given me was pretty easy so I wasn't too worried.  I get there and the Sister Mcfadden and Gloria decide that they would prefer the song a little lower.  We go to the organ and turned it town 2 notches(whoohoo I got to play the organ). Then being silly me, I told them I would transpose it, again it wasn't that hard so I wasn't too worried. As we were finishing up, Gloria told me about another song she was doing, I asked if she had an accompanist yet and she said no. I said that I could try it, It was a very simple version of it so I did ok.  I heard the song a few times (because I had never heard it before) and then later that evening I practiced and practiced on the keyboard we have in our apartment.  I transposed Amazing Grace.  I didn't have the blank sheet music so I was just trying to read it off of my hand written notes. Anyway it was a crazy night trying to get so much done!

Wednesday we had a quarterly zone conference! It was amazing as always. What President Alba focused on was us having the countenance of Jesus Christ in our faces. It was very powerful. He went up to one of the Elders and told him that he could see the Lord's countenance in his face. I just thought of how I want others to be able to see it! Then Sister Alba talked a little about Change -- making sure we are always willing to adjust and improve. We talked a little about the Harvest/house blessings and the cool thing was that I could promise all of them that Harvest blessings truly do help you find the elect, because it is how we had so many new investigators recently!  We started to talk about Meet the Mormons, how it was not to be a missionary effort but that we could encourage people to go!   He showed us a clip from it and paused it and we discussed a little and then Sister Alba yells, "Well lets just watch the whole thing!" So we watch Meet the Mormons, before it came out in theaters. Elder Holland encouraged all of the mission presidents to show it to their missionaries! It was great! I really enjoyed it! I hope you all saw it this weekend, or plan to see it soon, and make sure to take some friends along with you!  I gave my departing testimony. I don't know if I have explained this before, but at the end of every zone conference all of the missionaries going home in the next 3 months bear their final testimony! It was such a real experience to have it be my turn to say it! I remember my first zone conference most of those testimonies gave me the strength and the will to go on and I wanted to be that testimony for someone! Anyway, not only was I the only Sister missionary, but I also was the only one going home at the end of this transfer, it was weird, but awesome. One funny thing is some missionaries that went home 8 weeks ago, together got engaged last week so then the big joke on me was that they expected an announcement by December.   I told them I would try, but no guarantees. In the evening we met with the Tafoya family. They were so welcoming to the message of the Restoration. The father just kept saying how happy he was to learn that there is a living prophet! It was very interesting. They agreed to read the Book of Mormon.  So, we will see this next week! 

Thursday we did our planning early, because of the funeral on Friday! Then we taught a Blanca and her 2 kids. She really wants her kids to know all things spiritual and so we are focusing on them, but I am sure she will be open to listening to us too! Then we taught the Saldana Family. They have honestly been very prepared to hear the message of the restored gospel. They haven't been very content with their church right now and they have questions unanswered. It seems the husband is always searching for truth. We taught them the restoration and they understood that they needed to ask for themselves and the importance of such an event. The husband gave question after question.  We had the answers. (I am really grateful I am teaching him at the end of my mission, because of my understanding of Spanish and the gospel, that makes it a lot easier) When we gave them a Book of Mormon.  The husband started reading it right away! He was excited to read it and know more! It was an amazing lesson! We were so happy. The whole family is involved with learning more and so it is truly just incredible! Needless to say we are excited to see them this week!

Friday was the funeral. For the first time in my life did I feel like a pianist. I transposed a piece to a different key; I accompanied on a country soul song; I played the organ for the closing hymn; and I played postlude! Usually I am the singer, but I was very happy to use my talents as a pianist! They may not be many, but they were enough to help! I also got a lot of compliments and "I didn't know you played the piano." I guess I was hiding under the bushel of my last companion, but I was glad to help. It kind of made it an exhausting day with everything to do with the funeral and graveside services, but it was good. We had another lesson with an elect! Jesus is ready to better his relationship with God. From our last visit he had already read 3 chapters in the Book of Mormon and he says he has all of the time in the world to meet with us. His wife just left him, so he had been humbled to accept the gospel. 

Saturday was a actually a very chill day! We got our 20 contacts and had a practice lesson with Sister Pollock and our weekly coordination meeting with Brother Abono! He is so wonderful! I am so glad I get to serve with him!

Then all of the investigators we thought were coming to church didn't show up, but we have hopes for next week. I played the piano in primary, which was fun! My companion and I had a good little talk about things and I hope that I can be a good trainer for her! 

Oh how I love serving the Lord. He always proves to me that it is worth it everyday!

I love you all so much!

Hermana Sarah Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment